Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"It is finished."

Today, the man whom we offered our Divine Mercy Novena for passed from this life into eternity. Last night, after a very rough day, my last thought before slipping into sleep was
that I needed to pray a Divine Mercy chaplet for him. First, I managed to ask Our Lady
and St. Joseph, patron saint of the dying, to pray for him. Then, somewhere in the middle
of the Hail Mary to begin the chaplet, I slipped into the oblivion of sleep. I should know
better than to think I'll finish prayers when I get into bed, as tired as a sleep-deprived
mother!

Then, around noon today, I got the call that he has passed away this morning.
I felt like kicking myself for being so weak. Anyway, I gathered the kids as best I could and
our 6-year-old daughter and I managed to pray the chaplet for him, and his family, then.
Later, when my husband got home, he told me that he felt the urge to pray the chaplet for him for some reason this morning as he was driving to work. He at first was trying to brush off the urgency to pray, but then his guardian angel must've been very insistently whispering into his ear. So, he listened. I wonder what time he passed away? We don't know all the details yet.
It'd be interesting though if my husband answered that call to pray during this dear soul's final agony.

We love the Divine Mercy devotion and have two images in our home. Below, I will quote from the Diary of St. Faustina, to whom Jesus appeared to give her messages to the world about His Divine Mercy. Though it was a private revelation, John Paul II canonized St. Faustina as the first saint of the new millenium, I believe in the year 2000... The late, great Holy Father also made official the Feast of Divine Mercy, to be celebrated on the second Sunday of Easter..this is something requested by Our Lord to St. Faustina, as noted in the Diary.
The Mercy of God is great indeed. I hope in Him. I trust in Him.
So, here are the promised quotes from the Diary of St. Faustina:

"Tell them that no soul which has called upon My mercy has been disappointed or brought to shame. I delight particularly in a soul that has placed its trust in My goodness. Write that when they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as the just Judge but as the merciful Saviour" (Diary, 1541).

"When this chaplet is said by the bedside of a dying person, God's anger is placated and his unfathomable mercy envelops the soul" (Diary, 811).

We weren't able, due to the circumstances, to be physically by his bedside, but we were there in spirit, praying for him.

So, the pilgrimage of life is over for this dear soul. He has, by now, stood before the throne of God. Jesus, I trust in You! Amen.
"May the souls of the faithfully departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Divine Mercy Care... my doctors!

The Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, Newark, NJ

How Beautiful